Pull close and pay attention.
Make sure you don’t mistakenly place your federal student loans on forbearance.
If you do, you might miss out on getting your payments covered.
Let me explain.
My friend Ebony hit me up this morning after FedLoan emailed her about taking a forbearance. Being a lawyer, she read the fine print where it said the forbearance wouldn’t count towards any loan forgiveness program. She was confused because she thought the CARES Act said that the forbearance would count towards loan forgiveness.
What FedLoan is doing is confusing AF. They’re offering you the option to voluntarily enroll in an emergency forbearance due to the coronavirus.
What the government has approved under the CARES Act is:
– the suspension of interest on certain federal student loans and
– the paying of your monthly bill on certain federal student loans.
This is totally different from the forbearance FedLoan has listed on its website.
Under the CARES Act, you don’t have to do anything to get the benefits you’re legally entitled to. The government has ordered the Department of Education to pay your interest, pay your monthly, and give you credit towards for those payments to loan forgiveness.
Let me say that first part again: You don’t have to do anything to get those benefits. That will happen automatically.
Voluntarily choosing to enroll in a forbearance may (or may not) stop you from getting those benefits.
Do I know this for sure? No. But what I do know is that it’s super misleading for FedLoan to have an option for you to request a voluntary forbearance 3 days after President Trump signed a law that the government will be making your payments for you on certain federal student loans.
Bruh, it ain’t that hard in 2020 to update your Squarespace site, FedLoan, to provide accurate information to student loan borrowers.
For the nerds, read Section 3513(a) and (c) of the CARES Act for yourself: https://www.congress.gov/1…/bills/s3548/BILLS-116s3548is.pdf
- 5 Options If You Can’t Afford Student Loans When They RestartThe student loan payment freeze is ending soon, and federal student loan borrowers are expected to start making monthly payments again. In addition to payments picking back up, interest charges will resume on student loan debt, and collection agencies can seek a court order to collect on defaulted […]
- 5 Tips for Avoiding Overdrafting and FeesOverdraft fees are charged when you don’t have enough money in your account to cover a payment or purchase you’ve made. As part of an overdraft protection service, the bank – or credit union – covers the difference for you. If you’ve overdrawn your account, don’t stress. Here are some steps you can […]
- When does the recruiting process begin?A question we hear a lot is when does the recruiting process begin? In this video we discuss when and how to start the recruiting process to set yourself up for the most success. RESOURCES • Managing Your Recruiting Process https://www.ncsasports.org/recruiting/managing-recruiting-process • The […]
- How College Coaches Recruit Student-AthletesIn this video, our experts discuss the steps to the college recruiting process from a coach’s perspective. Learn more about how college athletic recruiting works. 0:47 Show Outline 1:20 When does the recruiting process begin? 4:49 What do college coaches look for when recruiting? 7:46 The 5 steps […]
- Everything You Need to Know About the PSLF Waiver Program in 2022Break out your apocalypse gear because a disaster is coming! Just kidding, we’re trying to keep things light and optimistic here, but it’s difficult when there are so many PSLF challenges people with student loans are still facing. Join me as I discuss the upcoming Public Service Loan Forgiveness […]
- STEM Talks Secret Life of LakesSource: Clackamas Community College […]
- PCC Portland Metro Workforce Training Center GroundbreakingEvent to mark the beginning of construction for the new workforce development center, live from the PMWTC site. Source: Portland Community College […]
- Career Services at PCC: Writing Scholarship EssaysHelpful links: Oregon: OSAC https://www.oregonstudentaid.gov Washington: https://www.washboard.org Educational Credit Management Corporation (ECMC) https://www.ecmc.org/borrowers/index.html Character Strengths Survey Penn State University https://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/testcenter […]
- Blinn College Board of Trustees – Board Meeting – January 18, 2022Source: Blinn College […]
- Blinn College Board Workshop January 18, 2022Source: Blinn College […]
- Blinn College Board of Trustee Meeting January 18, 2022 – TestThe Blinn College District recognized 540 graduates during its 144th commencement ceremony on Thursday, Dec. 16, at the Brazos County Expo Center. The commencement ceremony featured two student speakers – Robin Afshar representing the Bryan Campus and Esther Jarrett representing the Brenham Campus. […]
- What Are You Doing This Spring? Application Opens Feb. 1! Spring Quarter 2022 | De Anza CollegeEnroll now and make the most of your winter! Classes will be held online and on-campus in the spring quarter of 2022 at De Anza College, the college that’s always Tops in Transfer – and more! deanza.edu/apply-and-register De Anza College is always • Tops in Transfer: Always at or near the top […]
- What is Financial WellnessYou may or may not have known that only 17 states require high school students to take a personal finance class before graduating. As a result, students have to learn financial lessons from family, friends, or a mentor. But depending on your situation, you may not have someone in your inner circle […]
- Check eligibility for Navient Settlement
- 5 Student Loan Resources to Prepare You for Resuming PaymentsThe end of the payment pause means borrowers with outstanding federal student loans will start repaying loans again in May 2022. Not only will payments start back up, but so will interest charges and collections on defaulted loans. Several useful resources exist to help borrowers as they transition […]
- Raise a Glass for Napa Valley College’s Winemaking ProgramThe Napa Valley College Viticulture, Wine and Technology (VWT) Program is one of the largest college viticulture and winemaking programs in the country, enrolling nearly 1,000 students each year. Students in the VWT program can obtain either a certificate or a two-year associate of science degree, […]
- The Bennington Writing Seminars January 2022 Graduation CeremonyVisit https://www.bennington.edu/mfa-writing for more information. Source: Bennington College […]
- Graduate Speeches – Bennington Writing Seminars January 2022Speeches by Hika Anani MFA ’22 and Amanda Taylor MFA ’22. Visit https://www.bennington.edu/mfa-writing for more. Source: Bennington College […]
- Navient Settlement Details
- Navient wipes out private loans for ITT Tech and Art Institute students
- Start Investing Today! #shorts
- MLM Schemes Be Like… #shorts
- Best Budgeting And Money Apps 2022 [Awards And Rankings]The Best Budgeting Apps And Money Tools Of 2022! 🏆 Show More For All Links And Reviews 🏆 Read our full ranking of the best tax software here: https://theci.co/best-budgeting-apps-2022 Editor’s Picks: YNAB: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/go/YNABLink/yttKU8ZJ8VXA0 Quicken: […]
- Would You Consider This An Oops? #shorts
- Best Tax Software In 2022 [Awards And Rankings]The Best Tax Software Of 2022! 🏆 Show More For All Links And Reviews 🏆 Read our full ranking of the best tax software here: https://theci.co/best-tax-awards-2022 Best Overall: TurboTax https://thecollegeinvestor.com/go/TurboTaxes/yt7JDQcFsAZfU 0:00 – 2022 Best Tax Software Awards 1:13 – […]
- Cash App Taxes 2022 Review (Formerly Credit Karma Tax) | Walkthrough and Pros and ConsIn this Cash App Taxes Review (formerly Credit Karma Tax), we walk through how to log on, the features, the pros and cons, who should use it, free tax filing, and more! Get started with TaxAct here: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/go/cashapptaxes/yt-0Kmp14uYa0 Read our full Cash App Taxes 2022 […]
- Sending College Coaches Your Hudl VideoHaving a video to send to college coaches is one of the most Important parts of the recruiting process. Make sure you send it to them in a way in which they can view it quickly and in a way in which you know they watched it. RESOURCES: The Important Role of Highlight and Skills Videos in Recruiting […]
- Do College Coaches Watch Training Videos?College coaches may watch training videos like weight, speed, or skills training videos, but don’t make that the only type of video you send to coaches. Our expert provide more information in the video. RESOURCES: How to Get Coaches to View Your Highlight Video – […]
- Recruiting Resolutions for Student-AthletesMake and stick to your recruiting resolutions! Whether you’re an underclassman who’s just getting started in the recruiting process or an upperclassman who’s ready to make a college decision, NCSA can help keep your new year recruiting resolutions on track. 1:08 Show outline 1:30 Start calling […]
- How to Achieve a Six-Figure Net Worth in 2022We can’t control the pandemic or public policy, but we can control our actions to dramatically increase our net worth. I’m going to show you and your family a wealth of options for your wealth. Achieving a six-figure net worth seems like a daunting task, especially when you’re saddled with student […]
- Cocktails & Student Loans | Live Replay | January 2022In this Cocktails and Student Loans, we discussed the latest student loan pause, student loan forgiveness programs, qualifying for the PSLF waiver, and negotiating settlements. Signup for the newsletter: https://tinyurl.com/539m64vc Get my help: https://www.tateesq.com/ Source: #1 Student Loan […]
- Sometimes paying for therapy makes more sense
- TaxSlayer Review 2022 | Pros, Cons, In-Depth WalkthroughIn this TaxSlayer Review, we walk through the features of TaxSlayer 2022, the pros and cons, who should use it, free tax filing, pricing, and more! Get started with TaxSlayer here: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/go/taxslayer/ytI4oy0BDp4Qc Read our full review here: […]
- NCAA Recruiting Rules and Key Terms1:04 Show Outline 1:47 What are the NCAA Recruiting Rules and Calendar? Understanding each recruiting period 4:10 Dead Period 6:04 Quiet Period 7:55 Evaluation Period 9:03 Contact Period 11:25 When can college coaches contact you? 12:33 Important dates to know 13:55 Show recap Live Q & A 18:28 […]
- Ursinus College: Promises KeptUrsinus College recently celebrated the successful conclusion of our $100 million Keep the Promise campaign, and its impact is already evident across our Collegeville, Pa. campus. However, as the emblematic Robert Frost poem states "But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I […]
- Investing in 2022: Take Control of Your FinancesIt’s 2022, and there’s no better year to kickstart your journey to financial independence! One of the keys to making this a reality is a solid investment strategy alongside your student loan strategy. After two years of living in a culture of fear, people are craving for freedom—for autonomy and […]
- Year in Review 2021The Blinn College District has had plenty of reasons to celebrate during 2021. As we look forward to the year 2022, here’s a quick look back on what we accomplished last year. Happy New Year, Buccaneers! Source: Blinn College […]
- TaxAct 2022 Review and Walkthrough | More Features, But Disappointing PricingIn this TaxAct Review, we walk through the features of TaxAct 2022, the pros and cons, who should use it, free tax filing, pricing, and more! Get started with TaxAct here: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/go/taxact/ytzHdXko1QW4E Read our full TaxAct 2022 review here: […]
- What Makes a Successful College Student? A Sense of BelongingWhat does it take to be a successful college student? Associate Dean of Institutional Effectiveness and Planning, Katrina Boone, discusses the importance of coming to college to connect with people who have different backgrounds and perspectives. Connecting with different people, at different […]
- What Makes a Successful College Student? Confidence!What does it take to be a successful college student? Ariane Rakich, Admissions & Recruitment Coordinator, loves to see students who initially wondered if they were "college material." But as they started college — and got support from faculty and staff — they began to gain confidence […]
- What Makes a Successful College Student? A Willingness to LearnWhat does it take to be a successful college student? Sarah Parker, Medical Assistant Instructor, wants prospective and current students to know that being a successful student means wanting to learn and pursuing your passions. Whether you’re a mom, or you just graduated from high school or […]
- What Makes a Successful College Student? Getting What You WantWhat does it take to be a successful college student? Chemistry Instructor, George Burgess, believes success in college is defined by what you want to gain from a college education. Success can be starting a new career, transferring to a four-year university or simply getting a new perspective on […]
- What Makes a Successful College Student? It’s More than CurriculumWhat does it take to be a successful college student? Medical Assistant Instructor, Sarah Parker, shares that college success is about more than just curriculum. It’s about connecting with new people, faculty and ideas! Clackamas Community College has campuses in Oregon City, Milwaukie and […]
- What Makes a Successful College Student? Being Ready for ChangeWhat does it take to be a successful college student? Katrina Boone, Associate Dean of Institutional Effectiveness and Planning, believes a successful student is someone that’s ready for change — and ready to learn! Clackamas Community College has campuses in Oregon City, Milwaukie and […]
- What Makes a Successful College Student?What does it take to be a successful college student? Clackamas Community College’s faculty and staff answer this important question by offering their insights on the diversity of qualities that lead to student success. Clackamas Community College has campuses in Oregon City, Milwaukie and […]
- What Makes a Successful College Student? Meeting You Where You’re AtWhat does it take to be a successful college student? Josh Rhoden, wrestling coach and Athletics Instructor, shares how CCC instructors can meet students where they are academically — and help them find repeatable success in striving for their higher education goals. Clackamas Community College has […]
- What Makes a Successful College Student? Take the First Step!What does it take to be a successful college student? Katrina Boone, Associate Dean of Institutional Effectiveness and Planning, shares that reaching out to learn more about higher education is an important step. A simple first step that shows you have what it takes to succeed in college. Clackamas […]
- Clackamas Community College Xpress ShuttleLearn more at https://www.clackamas.edu/transportation Don’t let transportation be a barrier to getting to class. CCC offers a variety of free or discounted options to get to our three campuses. This video covers our FREE Xpress Shuttle, partnership with the Zig app, and discounts on Hop […]
- How to Invest After the Pandemic in 2022Inflation is red hot and stock market valuations are sky high. Learn how to invest with our Six Figure Debt to Six Figure net worth investing course. We cover concepts like tax loss harvesting, diversification, long term returns, and the 5 action steps to get started. Learn more: […]
- Signs You’re Doing Better Than You ThinkHaving six figures of student debt to pay off can often make you feel like you’re in bad shape, and for good reason. But as SLP consultants Rob Bertman, CFA, CFP®, and Lauryn Williams, CFP®, CSLP®, explain, you may be doing better than you think. Listen in for a positive, upbeat message and learn […]
- When You Get An Expensive Car Repair Estimate. #shorts
- Novo Bank Review | The Best Business Checking Account For Side HustlersNovo is a small business checking account that has awesome features for side hustlers and online entrepreneurs. Check our Bank Novo here: https://thecollegeinvestor.com/go/banknovoapp/ytD6J2XO9kIc4 Read our full Novo review here: https://theci.co/novo-review 0:00 – Novo Bank Overview 0:34 […]
- Small Business Speak To Plain English. #shorts
- Emergency Pod: Biden Extends Student Loan PauseJust announced! President Biden extends the pause on student loan payments to May 1, 2022. Feeling helpless when it comes to your student loans? Try our free student loan calculator Check out our refinancing bonuses we negotiated Book your custom student loan plan Source: Student Loan Planner […]
- 6 Strategies To Pay Off $100,000 of Student LoansThere are several repayment strategies that can help you achieve your debt payoff goal, whether you want manageable monthly payments or simply the fastest way to get student debt-free. Here are six strategies that show you how to pay off $100K in student loans. Read more: […]
- Refinancing Your Student Loans Amid Temporary Expanded PSLFI reflect on how my wife and I would have approached her student loan strategy differently if given a second chance. Listen as I pick apart a 2015-version of me (who had just started dating my then-girlfriend-now-wife) and the conversations we had around her $124,000 med school loan, and how a […]
- CCC Express ShuttleLearn more at https://www.clackamas.edu/transportation Don’t let transportation be a barrier to getting to class. CCC offers a variety of free or discounted options to get to our three campuses. This video covers our FREE Xpress Shuttle, partnership with, the Zig app, and discounts on Hop […]
- Championing Digital EquitySimra Mariam ’21 has been a BIPOC feminist activist and a professional journalist since she was a teenager. At Ursinus College, she opened the door to a new generation of marginalized writers and artists through an online publication that would become impactful and illustrious: Reclamation […]
- Meet the Berman’s New Director, Lauren McCardel"The opportunity to really build on our history of engagement with both our academic community here and the external communities around us is just really exciting to me," says McCardel. "I think we’re in a position of strength and I think that we are poised for continued […]
- Happy Holidays from Ursinus CollegeThis semester we asked our community, “what are you most thankful for this year?” Answers were dropped in a jar, and read by someone else. We are thankful for all of our students, faculty, and staff, and wish you all a happy holiday season. Source: Ursinus College […]